Oakwood School is a private elementary and middle school for students with learning disabilities in Annandale, VA.
- Small class size, between 8-13 students
- Every Lead Classroom Teacher is licensed by the Virginia Department of Education and has a specific endorsement in learning disabilities
- Most highly credentialed teaching faculty of any LD school in the DC area
- Adaptive Physical Education instruction 4 days per week
- Enriching classes in Art and Music
- Multisensory instruction to accommodate various learning styles
- Research-based phonetic reading program
- Use of technology to enhance instruction
- Speech/Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy are available on-site on a contractual basis.
- Social Skills lessons in all classes: pragmatic language classes for younger students
- Social Studies and Science incorporate study skills and hands-on activities
Oakwood School's Facility
As of January 2023, Oakwood School finished a multi-year facility renovation and expansion. Every detail of the 42,000 sq. foot building has been carefully chosen and designed to be an optimum learning environment for our students.
- Classroom paint colors is research based and evidence supported to enhance concentration, improve memory, and boost productivity
- Ceiling tiles were chosen because of their noise reduction rating and sound absorption capability to enhance student focus
- BIOS SkyBlue LED lighting is installed in all classrooms to mimic circadian rhythm in an indoor environment